The Forest Apothecary serves as an ecclectic online compilation of some of my herbal recipes, plant ponderings and insights.

I hope you find my notes here useful and enjoyable.

~ Green Blessings ~

Plant Ponderings ... Poke Weed

Plant Ponderings
Poke Weed
September 2008

Unfortunately my pictures could not be re-located when posting this one..

Hello my fellow woodland wanderers! This is the perfect time of year to introduce you to an old friend. Or re-introduce you, as I know you've probably seen this "weed" before. She's native to my area, with a history as deep and rich as her plump, dark, purple-red berries. She's a true wild Appalachian herb, and there is much facinating herbal lore about uses for her roots, leaves, and berries... but be forewarned... she is not for the novice herbalist and is poisonus to people if not prepared correctly! I'm content with just visiting and studying her. The berries and vibrant colored stems that reappear year after year in my woods speak to me of strength, old secrets, and autumn on it's way. Her appearance is exotic, almost tropical, and perhaps, if she allows, I'll try painting with some of her berry juice, as did artist George Caleb Bingham (1811-1879). Or, as did the root doctors of the south, carry a bit of her root to ward off evil. Her name "Poke" comes from the Virginia Algonquian word for blood, referring to the red color of the stem and berries. Native Americans used the powdered roots to treat cancers, and the mountain grandmothers had many a use for this plant.

Phytolacca americana. Folk names: American nightshade, cancer root, devil's club, inkberry, pigeonberry.

Remembering how much I loved the illustrations in this book, "A Child's Book of Wildflowers" by M.A. Kelly, and that there was a page that featured Poke plant, I thought I'd share it here. The artist Joyce Powzyk does the most beautiful watercolor illustrations. I found this book at a flea market years back, bought it for my daughter, and it quickly became a favorite of mine too.
On your next trek through the woods look for her won't you? And be sure and say hello from me.

1 comment:

  1. My Hubby's Grandmother used to eat "Poke Salad" when she was a child (early 1900s). The leaves would be eaten like spinach or any other 'greens'. Never tried it myself.

    ReplyDelete