The Forest Apothecary serves as an ecclectic online compilation of some of my herbal recipes, plant ponderings and insights.

I hope you find my notes here useful and enjoyable.

~ Green Blessings ~

Plant Ponderings ... Rose of Sharon

July 2009
Plant Ponderings... Rose of Sharon


I hate it when bloggers start out apologizing for not posting, so I won't. After all... it's without obligation is it not? At least for some of us? I've still been keeping tabs on you fellow bloggers though, enjoying my trips to your blogs, admiring your creativity, and (I'll admit) wondering when some of my favs. will ever post again!


A view from the kitchen door and yes.. I've got a weed growing in the little pot (plantain!) My little visitor doesn't mind though.. although he preferred the rose geranium :)

Not to say I've been lazy! Short of a barely 1 week vacation I've been alive and working my 9-5, trying to stay fit (ahem did I mention the canoe?) and somewhat creative (ahem ahem). In my off hours I'm back to being barefoot, paint smattered and as always with a stack of books and to-do's too big to ever get done!

But Summer is for a slower take on things is it not? So with that established, I'll move on to more summer appropriate meanderings. First off, it's about time for a "Plant Pondering." This time I pick Rose of Sharon. Mainly because it is totally flourishing in my yard, partially because I do nothing for it and it keeps coming back, more vibrant and full of blooms than ever before. It has fascinated me for some time now, and I only just realized that those luscious tropical looking blooms are actually edible. Here is a link from the Recipe Zaar to a fabulous summerr recipe that I haven't tried yet, but want to: http://www.recipezaar.com/Stuffed-Rose-of-Sharon-38116 this just looks so cooling and yummy, perfect for Summer! I have merely sprinkled some of it's lovely blossoms into my wild salad and plan to make this small act a yearly tradition. I think the bees as always were trying to tell me about this lovely profusely blooming plant... the way they drunkenly visit each flower, loving every luscious minute of diving in! Can you find her, immersed in velvet petals?



A Happy... Sensuous... Juicy... Lazy... Summer to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment